I found a super simple "Martha Stewart" pattern with a video tutorial using a piece of rectangular fabric cut on the bias.
I made mine using scraps of green cotton flannel, but I did not cut on the bias and still got a nicely finished pincushion. The star shape leaf section is cut out freehand using felted wool and finished off with a rust colored button. The pattern calls for gluing the star shape leaf section on the top but I decided to use a long doll needle to stitch mine in place using the button to finish it up. Using fabric cut on the bias would probably give you a smoother finish to the sides since it would have more "give" but I think mine came out nicely.
You could add some crushed walnut shells, decorator sand (found in craft stores in the floral section) or plastic pellets (found in a craft store and used for dolls, pillows or toys) to the base of the pincushion to give it some weight. Add an emery filled strawberry to sharpen dull needles and you have a complete old fashioned looking set.
This pattern is an easy to do project even for a beginner. It would make a great Girl Scout project or even a school project, of course since the use of a sewing machine is required it would be best to do with some adult supervision.
I hope that you enjoy this post and will give this pattern a try to create a variety of tomatoes in assorted sizes to fill a basket and display in your sewing room or even in your kitchen. If you drop in to take a look, have a question, suggestion or if you decide to create your own please leave a comment and let me know what you think.