Sunday, October 17, 2010

Quiet Times

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt

I have been taking a break from the sewing studio reorganization but I am happy to say that I have been able to maintain what has already been done.  It is so easy to fall back into old habits but some habits are best left behind to learn new ways of doing things.

I am up early this morning having been roused from sleep by my daughters cat.  He cries at my door like clockwork at 5:00 am each day, he has no idea that it is Sunday and it would be great to get a few more hours of sleep this morning.  I am not his owner, that person sleeps just 2 doors down from my room and it would be nice if he got her up early once in awhile.  He greets me at my door rubbing himself against my legs as I try to avoid tripping over him as I walk downstairs to feed him.  Of course, being the stinker that he is, he eats then disappears upstairs to sit on the window seat and drift off to sleep.  He is a creature of habit, and even though there is food in his bowl all night long, he seems to want the company as he eats his morning  meal.


I start up my laptop at the kitchen table and fix my pot of coffee to start my day. I do enjoy the quiet moments that getting up this early provides, just the tick tack of the computer keyboard as I post messages to friends and family and clicking of the mouse as I play my favorite facebook games.  Then there is the hot cup of coffee that I can enjoy, uninterrupted by others as I plan my day and sometimes my week.  I make up my weekly menus and shopping list, jot down notes on custom orders that I need to get done or brainstorm ideas for new creations.  I find that this time of the morning is my most creative, when the household is quiet and the family and pets are sleeping, just me and my thoughts alone to dream.

What is your most creative time of the day?  Are you an early riser?  Do you sleep late on the weekend?  What do you consider sleeping late?

2 comments:

Dirt Road Quilter said...

LOL! My daughter's cat thinks he belongs to me too! Sleeping in? Doesn't happen around here. We ranch and the mornings start pretty early around here so I would have to say that 6:00 is sleeping in. Like you, I enjoy the quiet of the early morning hours and the sunsets around here are worth getting up for!

Shannon said...

Around here it's the 5 year old who gets us up, as bright and early as we'll let her. During the week she's up and at 'em a bit before 7, demanding breakfast, but if she stays up late with her friends on the weekend, we get an hour or two more of blissful sleep :) She loves going to my mom's since they both are early birds and happily get up with her by 6. :) My brain is too fuzzy to sew that early unfortunately - I tend to burn the midnight oil in my studio!