Friday, July 27, 2012

Quilting Gallery Entry

On Tuesday morning I logged on to my laptop and the first place I went to was my Facebook page and found a posting by Michelle Foster from the Quilting Gallery about their weekly quilt contest.  They were accepting entries for their "Buildings and Homes" contest and one of my favorite quilts came to mind immediately.  I have since entered my "Home in the Woods" quilt in the Quilting Gallery contest, voting starts on Friday evening and continues through the weekend.  Please check out the voting at Quilt Gallery  and I hope that you will vote for my quilt.


Home in the Woods

I designed and created this quilt which started out as 3 house blocks that were UFOs from a Round Robin project.  These three lonely blocks were just sitting around waiting patiently to be added to a bigger project and what came to mind was a cabin in the woods.  I  made the tree blocks and used blue cloud design fabric for the sky, I then paper pieced the sun block and added some log cabin blocks to create the center medallion.  When I think of the woods or a forest I think of birds that fly south for the winter, so I created 68 flying geese blocks and placed them in alternating directions around the medallion and finished it of with a brown tone on tone border and a final border of a golden tan.

This quilt was made pre HQ16 mid-arm quilting machine so the only option was to quilt this beauty on my domestic sewing machine, a Baby Lock Espire.  The center house and tree medallion were done in an outline stitch with stippling in the blue cloud fabric and the rest is an allover meandering design using Warm and Natural cotton batting.  By the time I was done with this 78 X 88 inch quilt I felt as if I had been run over by a truck, it was my first free motion experience and I was very happy with the outcome.

Thanks for dropping by and please remember to check out the Quilting Gallery website and cast a vote for my quilt. 

No comments: