You will need the following materials (amounts will depend on how many ornaments you wish to make):
Holiday/Christmas or any fabric of your choice for the front of the tag/ornament
bleached or unbleached muslin for the backing
Peltex, felt or fusible felt (I used Peltex a very stiff interfacing also used for fabric postcards)
Fusible web such as wonder under
Sewing Machine (optional)
contrasting/coordinating thread or thread to match fabrics
cording, ribbon or twine
fine tip permanent ink marker ( I used a sharpie fine tip marker)
First start with deciding the shape of your tag/ornament. For this project I decided to use a rectangular shape but I have also made these using a circle. I selected a border print fabric with a variety of Holiday items to choose from.
1. You can create a template, cut free-hand or use a clear acrylic ruler to cut out the shape, just make sure you cut out fabrics and peltex slightly larger than you want the finished tag to be.(1/4 of an inch is plenty) I cut my shapes out freehand.
2. Following directions on fusible, iron the fusible web/wonder under onto the back side of each of your fabrics (holiday fabric and muslin). Do this step before you cut out your shape or design. Do not remove paper backing from the fabric yet.
3. On the paper side of the fusible web that has been fused to the fabrics use your template to trace the ornament shape on both the front fabric and the muslin or cut out your shape freehand.
4. Cut out a piece of peltex slightly larger than the front fabric shape.
5. Following manufacturers directions iron the fabric ornament shape onto the peltex shape.
5. Place ornament on the paper side of the muslin background fabric (step2) and trace around ornament. Cut out muslin background just inside of tracing line.
6. Score and remove paper backing from muslin and fuse to the back of ornament shape.